ChatGPT is making headlines in impacting how we operate every day and experts say it is going to change the future of how we work. It uses artificial intelligence to generate natural language responses to text prompts, questions, and commands.
As a career coach, I have been testing this app to see how it can supplement the job search for new college grads by asking it different questions and evaluating the details of the answers. I am a novice but I have learned that more precise questions generate better answers. Here are a few questions that I have explored:
- What is the best way for a recent grad to land a job out of college? Where should they get help?
- What should a 2023 college grad do to land a job in this economy?
- Write a cover letter for this job listing and the attached resume.
- Write a LinkedIn “About” section based on the attached resume.
- Can you write a resume for me using the attached summary?
- If you are the hiring manager from Apple, what are the qualities that you look for in a candidate to hire them for a job?
- How can I get an internship at Goldman Sachs this summer?
This process has been fascinating. Some answers are generic, but others are very specific and provide a strong framework for writing letters or providing detailed information on a job or company.
Here is what we need to remember about this technology:
- This is a generic framework. It is a great first start when you are staring at a blank page and not sure what to say or write. But employers want to see specifics with examples. And that only comes from your direct experience.
- People hire people. No matter what AI or tracking system is utilized to scan a resume, or evaluate a voice or video call, real people are the ones to make the final hiring decisions. Building those relationships is key in the search
- Skills win the day. Job candidates may learn background on companies or get great advice (sometimes) from AI, but clarity on skills and the value a candidate can bring to an organization is what helps them to differentiate from the rest.
As new technology evolves, we continue to learn, review, and evaluate to see how we can best support our clients in landing the job they deserve.
Graduation season is almost here. Interested in learning more about how we help college students and grads the internship or first job? Let’s Talk or call us at 973-577-6161. And we promise it will be a REAL person speaking to you.
Want to see what a question and answer in ChatGPT looks like? See below:
Q: “How should a recent grad answer the interview question of “What is your biggest weakness?”
A: The “what is your biggest weakness” question can be challenging to answer during a job interview, but there are a few strategies you can use to tackle it effectively as a recent grad. Here are some tips:
Be honest: It’s essential to be truthful while answering this question. You don’t want to come across as insincere or dishonest. Instead, share a genuine weakness that you are working on improving.
Focus on a work-related weakness: When answering this question, avoid talking about personal weaknesses, such as a lack of self-confidence. Instead, focus on a weakness that relates to the job you are applying for. For example, if you are applying for a job that requires public speaking, you could mention that you feel nervous speaking in front of large audiences.
Show how you are working on improving: After you have shared your weakness, explain what steps you are taking to address it. For example, if you struggle with public speaking, you could mention that you have joined a public speaking club or have been practicing in front of friends and family.
Frame it positively: While discussing your weakness, try to frame it positively. For example, instead of saying “I struggle with time management,” say “I’m always looking for ways to improve my time management skills.”
Be concise: Finally, keep your response brief and to the point. You don’t want to spend too much time talking about your weaknesses and risk leaving a negative impression. Instead, provide a brief, honest, and positive response, and then move on to highlight your strengths and experiences.
Remember, this question is an opportunity for you to demonstrate self-awareness and a willingness to improve. By following these tips, you can answer the question confidently and leave a positive impression on your interviewer. (Source, ChatGPT https://chat.openai.com/ 3/22/23)